About Me

My photo
I am a bit of a hippy at heart, although I am a bit to young to have been a flower child (I was a New Romantic as a teenager). I love the individuality and colourfulness of the arty, hippy style and like to express that love of colour in my jewellery and I seem to be increasingly drawn to nature as inspiration for my beadwork.

Saturday 12 March 2011

Working on my photo's.

One of the things I have struggled with most since starting to sell my work is product photography, particularly lighting issues and staging. Last weekend was quite sunny so I thought I was on to a winner, however the photo's came out very harsh looking with a lot of shadows. After sulking a bit, I had a think about how I could improve them and I remembered
this excellent article by Blue Forest Jewellery http://blueforestjewellery.blogspot.com/2010/03/photography-tips-from-non-professional.html

My dining room has a big bay window which gets a lot of sun, I placed a piece of white card on the dining table and propped up another piece of card (I didn't have anything more transparent)vertically behind it to try and eliminate shadows. I set up a tall white coffee mug and hung a pair of earrings of it. The camera was set to macro and I turned the flash off and I snapped and snapped and snapped, lol.

The photo's came out quite dark but that was soon sorted out by adjusting the exposure in my photo editing software. I am quite happy with this pic and am actually hopeful that I may soon have consistently decent photo's!


Happy beading!
Sarahx

1 comment:

Clair said...

Hello lovely. Catching up on my blog reading this weekend. This photo's turned out really well, so keep experimenting with your camera. What type do you have? Let me know if you want some tips - I've been steadily working on improving my photography since I started blogging x